MyFreeTaxes helps people file their taxes for free while getting the assistance they need.
Our self-preparation software (accessible by selecting the “By myself” option on our homepage) is completely free. We connect users to one of two self-preparation software options based on their income.
We also connect MyFreeTaxes users who need more support filing their return to partner nonprofits who are part of the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program (accessible by clicking on the “With assistance” option on our homepage.)
Common tax situations covered in MyFreeTaxes include:
- W-2 income
- Self-employment income (Schedule C and 1099)
- Mortgage interest deduction
- Health savings accounts (HSAs)
- Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
- Unemployment income
- Student education expenses and credits
- Student loan interest
- Claiming the standard deduction
- Itemized returns
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
- Child tax credits
- Child and dependent care expenses
- Non-resident returns
- Amended tax returns
For a complete list of forms included (or excluded) in MyFreeTaxes, see FAQs below.